Its not always either important or appropriate to be smart. But when it is, I feel I should make the effort.
For Your Delectation
CV / Resume – Alec Sharratt
Digital marketing expert passionate about delivering on business objective defined growth. Dedicated and experienced in leveraging data insights to inform both tactical & strategic decisions.
Main areas of expertise include paid media performance (specifically paid search, video, remarketing, display, paid social, & SEO). With over 13 years’ experience in campaign and cross channel strategy optimisation, brand marketing and communications. All of which has required advanced skills in both stakeholder & project management.
Both extensive agency-side, client-side experience, and considerable freelance & consulting work engendered a creative flair tempered by a data-heavy approach. Bringing strategic thinking, thought leadership, and innovation with an infectious passion for my work.
A long history of demonstrable ability to successfully build, manage, integrate with, and grow digital marketing teams of many sizes. My process and logically driven approach are moderated by the empathy and consideration for my team and their goals.
When team goals and customer focus – in terms of outcome and relationship – are aligned, success is almost a guarantee.
You will find most of this on my CV which you can download a PDF version of by clicking the link like a champion… This is basically a just compromise of trying to get as much relevant stuff into as fewer a bullet points as possible! Rather than a revealing and meaningful insight into ones professional ability and acumen. If you want to see my LinkedIn profile, go ahead and click that link!
In this section below, I have elaborated on some of the work or experience that I have or am particularly proud of. I have also tried to show something of my approach to work and who I am.
*My Professional Career
*(to date… I charge extra for future **knowledge! Usually $1,000,000 USD.
**No guarantees of knowledge being true, relevant or in any way legitimate sounding!
This is the TDLR version of my professional career. Please enjoy!
Head of Paid Media
Choose Digital (Part of Roolife Group)
Aug-19 to present
- Client management & both internal & external stakeholder management. Managing the Paid Media team’s weekly tasks, time management, priorities, ensuring that KPIs and deadlines are met
- Social media / Facebook strategy and implementation for products, services and apps for new / existing clients
- LinkedIn strategy for lead generation for Chinese-Australian eCommerce (B2B/B2C)
- Google Ads strategy for a huge range of clients ranging significantly in spend (from 2K to 75K media spend per month)
- Pitch deck preparation, running client meetings, reporting to upper management
- Built an SEM team and assisted in staff acquisition
- Successfully implemented all workflows & processes to manage the wider team
- Designed and implemented a suite of new offerings (CRO & Landing Page Design)
- Helped to grow the company through upsells and new client acquisition
- Spearheaded internal deployment of universally used project management system to streamline collaborative workflow
Coming into this role things were very different, I was managing hands on 17 Google Ad or Facebook accounts by myself while trying to find the right talent to build a strong Paid Media team.
But with great colleagues and strong leadership we grew the company. I personally instigated spearheaded various projects and initiatives to help in two core areas: Firstly was management and process, creating detailed process documentation and managing this with tools in such a way as to ensure quality control without piling on admin.
- This improved workflow, communication and reduced error.
The second has been to create both a landing page strategy and Conversion Optimisation offering for the business. Developing the skills, tools, processes and training my team; I have now successfully deployed this strategy with stunning success to several clients. This is now forming part of a wider more holistic approach to our suite of solutions.
- This had enabled us to grow our services, rebrand & become more competitive, while driving profits
Choose Digital is a dynamic and resourceful agency with talented staff who focus on the client and client outcomes above anything. We pride ourselves of deliverer the bet results possible for all our valued clients.
- I am proud to be a small but important part of developing the business to where it is today.
Senior External Consultant + Freelancer
Lens10, DataTrue (among others)
Jul-17 to Aug-19
- Exceeded targets by reduced CPCs by 83%
- Reduced spend by 70%, exceeding targets
- Grew traffic by 80% and maintained traffic at this rate while decreasing CPCs and ad spend
- Built a Digital Marketing team through a process with multiple high-level stakeholders
- Reviewed all existing suppliers and made decisions to keep their services
- Managed 10 brands with 4 Million AUD per year in paid media. Reduced self-competition between brands that competed in the same space. Drove new customer acquisition inline with strict revenue growth.
- Educated and managed stakeholders on SEO and wider digital channels, while advocating for digital. Generated SEO recommendations and managed their implementation parallel to a multi-site (7) migration consolidation strategy.
- LinkedIn campaign build, strategy and hands on implementation.
While working on Raptor (tech start-up) I was also consulting primarily with two agencies but also with other independent freelancers and agencies to generate an income. The work varied significantly from acting as a senior external consultant to agencies needing expert advice on SEO or Paid Media to; one-off audits or highly complex multi channel, multi brand corporations.
- I was brought in, as an outside and trusted expert in my fields, due to consistently delivering results on time without exception
A huge part of the role, aside from managing the day to day running of campaigns, was effective stakeholder management. I worked for an agency who placed me at their client who included me in meetings with their suppliers. So managing stakeholders both internally / externally (and a combination of both) was a challenge.
- Understanding needs, structure and outcomes I was able to effectively communicate what was needed to be done.
Understanding where in the Venn diagram these different needs and demands came together is where the most headway could be made.
CEO & Co-Founder
Raptor Digital Marketing Tools
Jul-17 to Present (in a very limited capacity)
- Created all website content on SEO, PPC, Analytics and
Social Media (over 592 Pages and 675,000 SEO, Social Media, Analytics and PPC advice of guides)
- Created 189 SEO instructional / tutorial videos
- Drove organic users from 0 to over 10,000 site per month in two years, while fighting in a highly competitive industry
- Co-Created a profitable business
- Now have over 800 users!
- Designing and creating all specifications for every aspect of the business, software, sales and marketing documentation
- Managing a team of 8 people (Devs & SEOs primarily)
- Acquiring investment and managing all stakeholders / investors and directors
- Managing external teams, such as, development, UX and web designers
- Creating website content, managing all SEO and PPC
- Managing social media campaigns from paid ads to organic posting and outbound sales
- Managing the investors and director board meetings. Managing financial and development milestones, business updates, analysis and strategy
- Ensuring the deadlines were set and met accordingly
- Pitch deck preparation & pitching for new business
This had been in the works for ages and I cover this in more depth in the section about Raptor Digital Marketing Tools and our SEO Web Crawler. Hatching worked years using tools and never being satisfied of the output I set out designing a tool on my own. My very closest friend, and smartest person I know Dave (aka little Dave, Quantum Dave, Physics Dave or genius Dave), decided to do together.
To see how far we have come, visit the section on this site on Raptor or visit raptor using the link above.
- I learned a lot about law, trademarks, patents, employment law and business finance during this period. Creating something from nothing, from imagination alone, takes courage and immense unwavering work ethics. I learned a lot about myself, as well as to how to make a successful business.
Online Marketing Manager
Sep-14 to Jul-19
- Grew organic revenue through my own creative initiatives by ~55% YoY for three years
- Grew paid revenue by ~70% YoY for three years whilst hitting ROI targets
- Grew profit by 367% over 1 year through a collaborative initiative that I created and managed
- Managed ad spends of over 3 million AUD per year across multiple channels such as AdWords, Bing and Outbrain, spanning a range of financial products & services such as home loans and credit cards
- Managed SEO and worked with the content team to drive organic visibility
- Managed external suppliers, internal stakeholders and advocated for the digital media team to grow our budget
- Monthly, quarterly, and yearly reporting & forecasting.
I loved this role and the client side nature of the work enabled much more complex integrated and effective long term strategies. Having almost free reign to do what I wanted with the strict ROI targets and the limitations of the sales team; meant multi-month strategic plans utilising advanced tech, teams, data and research.
- I grew revenue and profit to the point where I was the primary (90%+) drive of all revenue.
The results I achieved through managing internal stakeholders over the last 9 months grew the business by almost 100% in revenue. The level of people management, buy in from busy directors and running effective succinct weekly meetings; lead to this success.
- My results grew year on year, every year
As a result of the increased demand on the business, we grew substantially over the time I wad there with many employees being hired for to utilise. Content, Analytics, SEM juniors, External SEM agencies, Sales and Web Developers where the primary roles resulting form my strategies,
- My professional impact on Mozo, in terms of strategy and approach and overall project management had a affect on the business that allowed it to succeed.
Senior SEO Manager
Sep-13 to Sep-19
As a Senior Account Manager I am responsible for tier 1 clients, taking a leadership role to provide strategic input across client management as well as FirstClick product and methodologies. It is my pleasure to be working within a highly passionate team of ‘internet folk’ who have a deep understanding of search marketing.
Working with enterprise level clients such as Fuji Xerox, Co-op and Think Seek to deliver great results through strategic planning and effective client management. I provide guidance and support to the team concerning SEO issues whilst working closely with the SEM team to create a holistic synergy allowing the efficient delivery of a unified service to my clients.
Drawing upon my SEM / PPC skills, I also manage the SEM for some clients where there is direct benefit to be gained from having a single point of contact and centralised management of the account.
Managing a small team of highly capable but junior SEOs, we worked together well. Much of my time was spent training and reviewing work and providing strategic input. I developed a content offering and produced a white paper with the biggest names in the industry quote in it. Multiple employee of the month winner I set a record for highest score on KPI reviews in the history of the company.
- I supported, trained and grew a team of junior SEOs into senior SEOs
I have made life long friends and a business partner from colleagues at this company.
Jan-13 to Aug-13
Managing a team of SEO Specialists in the beautiful Central Business District (CBD) in Sydney. Working on a great portfolio of brands across a variety of verticals.
Columbus’ vision is to build a team of excellent SEOs within an award winning integrated.
Planning and organising resource for SEO campaigns, from proposal stage through to execution / delivery. This includes:
• Providing strategic and practical input into crucial day-to-day tasks
• SEO Audits
• Keyword Research
• SEO Best Practice documents
• Link Building Strategies and implementations
• Content developments
• Usability guidelines and analysis
• Web Analytics data analysis and insights
• Providing strategic insights within reports and analysis
• Providing regular status and road map updates
• Ensure all quality control procedures are followed and delivered
• Delivering website architecture, content and produce optimisation recommendations
• Delivering training and recommendations to developers, designers and marketing teams where appropriate
• Utilising existing technology capabilities and identifying emerging technology opportunities
• Being at the forefront of the latest market research and trends
• Being an evangelist for Search Engine marketing for both SEO and its integration with other media, in particular Paid Search and Social Media
• In conjunction with the Business Development Manager the generation and cultivation of new business leads
• Creating an integrated approach between Paid Search and SEO and work cooperatively with all media partners
• Developing short-term and long-range strategies for achieving clients SEO Objective
Working as part of a large global media corporation was a new challenge for me and in a new country. I worked with national bands and had munch higher level to stakeholder south integrally and externally. For ethical reasons I left this job.
I did get to wok with some huge brands and created strategies to manage my team meet needs head on.
- Gaining success in original ideas executed under my supervision lead to 30% growth in sales directly attributable to the campaign
Senior Digital Marketing Executive
(Promoted from Digital Marketing Specialist)
Koozai (formally Impact Media)
Sep-10 to Nov-12
After starting at a junior level I quickly became promoted to a senior role where my responsibilities took advantage of my keen eye for detail and technical knowledge. The work I conducted changed over the various periods of promotion and advancement within the business. My primary responsibilities were as follows:
• Managing several clients in a busy and fast moving environment. Client spend varies from small to large. All work is logged, recorded in a CRM system and reports are constructed for every retainer completed.
• SEO (search engine optimisation) – All aspects of on-page SEO, keyword research, site audits, site reviews, managing SEO campaigns for small to large websites, e-commerce sites in a diverse range of industry sectors. Implementing and recommending changes, monitoring work and results.
• PPC (pay per click) management of AdWords – managing campaigns ranging from a spend from small to large. Management of display network, content and search networks, remarketing, and A/B split testing. Setting up campaigns, negative / keyword research, overhauling campaigns. Assisting sales process by identifying areas of improvement in existing campaigns.
Koozai was like a family to me and I loved working there, the people are fantastic. What made this environment so beautiful was the intensity of desire to learn more. I would run competitions to rank for Googlewhack’s in the company to se who was the best! Competition drove most of us but, the Owner, Ben awarded substantial proses to the winners after the first competition.
People there took pride and passion in being knowledgeable, good at what they do and the provide they took in their work was reflected in the results.
I rose from the most junior SEO / PPC person (if you can make probation you can have a chair). Within the time I worked there and the life consuming works outside of work-work lead to multiple promotions and advancement to senior executive. My IT and tach background helped advance my technical knowledge and with experience I became the head technical SEO person in Koozai.
This role and the work around it is what forged my passion and skill for several core areas of Digital Marketing. This was where I was an “inexperienced expert”… Someone who has the text book knowledge a process down pat but not enough real world experience (although it was growing fast).
- This role is where I learned to be an advanced digital marketer. With exposure to new channels and lots of real work experience my skills and passion grew exponentially in this role.
Senior Digital Marketing Executive
Sep-10 to Nov-12
Selling SEO, PPC, Content Marketing and managing to small businesses and then managing those accounts under supervision.
– Answering customer queries regarding products, pricing and features.
– Generating and prospecting potential leads with direct calls (primarily B2B).
– Meeting or exceeding sales goals and KPIs.
– Frequently following up with ongoing leads & contacts.
– Develop and implement campaigns and key initiatives including digital activities to maximise marketing return.
– Daily/weekly management of our online presence, including paind media and email systems.
– Helped to inform the creation of EDM campaigns, Google Ads & Social Media Campaigns such as LinkedIn & Facebook.
This was my first professional role in digital marketing. Prior to this I was entirely self taught and had received no formal training for experienced professionals. This role gave me that edge and built the foundation of my basic skills and knowledge.
This role also taught me through another incredible person Haych, sales tactics which serve me well today. This role was primarily sales and I wanted to move into the hands on work more fully.
- This role is what changed my career and life forever. Its where I put it not context from professionals what I hade learned myself.
Any Other Career History of Note..?
Before this I had a successful career in the IT Industry. Due to certain ‘need to know’ rules associated with the CTC Counter Terrorism Checks) and the Official Secrets act… Much of that will be omitted or adjusted.
I have not included that here for many reasons. One is that it is not going to qualify me for disqualify for a job of contract now! I may add this in later! In super summary I have always got on with computer, whether it using Excel as a kid, making games or understanding how they work… I worked my way to server and network engineer which I did for the military and police services.
My pay in the industry was very high and I took a huge pay cut to which careers, and never ever questioned it. Money isn’t everything… But it f**king helps!
My technical skills and natural ability with a computer had given me an edge when approaching this tech-centric industry; combined with my creative flair (see some of of my artwork and hobbies) give me unique insights, solutions and leadership talents.